Heroes, morality etc.

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:28:25 +0000

I said of Kallyr, Argrath, and the Mularik Solution: >>Quite! See what I mean about her ability to do all that he did? Not >>"couldn't", but "wouldn't".

And Jeff said:
> I think you are over-romanticising Kallyr.
No, not really. She's got plenty of faults: more than enough to make anyone outside her own tribe distrust her motives. I just don't think that this kind of subtle dishonesty is one of them. If she'd wanted Mularik dead, she'd have killed him.

> I suspect that her performance on the High Council was filled with
> actions that others (like Kallai Rockbuster or Hofstaring Treeleaper,
> etc.) found objectionable and self-serving.
I'm sure of it. One of the faults I'm certain of is that she gets excessively defensive of her family, clan, and tribe (in that order). And I'm quite sure her idea of defense is an all-out attack. Not how to win friends and influence people.

On support on 1625, Jeff says:
> I think this falls under the old "Only Horse in the Race" rubric.
If it wasn't for all those warlords squabbling over Sartar in 1627, I'd agree with you. I can't believe they appeared out of thin air in two years.

Of course, the reputation she was using in 1625 had been built up at a distance, as it were: the Sartarites hadn't been there themselves. It may still have been based on an ability to say "charge!" and have people do so: good heroism, but lousy tactics.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/