Peter's ravings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:49:44 +1200 (NZST)

Brian Newman:

>All of a sudden, my players all died. They rolled up a new party, and
>they're starting out around Seshnela/Safelster! I know very little about
>this area of the world except what's in AH's Glorantha-related materials.

>Does anyone have information on the city of Segurane itself -- maps,
>important locales, etc. -- interesting events or things in the region,
>upcoming major events, things like that? Please pass it along!

No maps of Segurane exist AFAIK.

The best published fan sources are the Sog City Guidebook, Tales of the Reaching Moon #13 and the Worlds Greatest Tournament.

Nick Brooke has some articles about the Rokari religion at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/Malkioni/malkioni.htm

An almost-complete timeline of everything that happened in Seshnela and Safelster can be found at:

http://www.voyager.co.nz/~metcalph/westhist.html

And Loren has organized a linkpage where you can find some details on other people's western campaigns at:

http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Fabulous/glink.html

Jane Williams:

>This discussion of the history of Loky's period is great fun to listen
>to, but all sides seem to be using sources that I lack. Where are you
>getting all this stuff from? And where do the rest of us get a copy?

Much of the stuff you quote appears to stem from discussions that Jeff and Harald have had (with Greg) about first age heortling society. Some of it can be found in Enclosure and the bit about Daysenerus will appear in Enclosure #2 from what I've heard. However the following

>> ... the Battle of Vanntar (397) - in fact the Hendriki were probably
>> founded following that disasterous battle.

Can be found in an old source:

        'The last two [heortling tribes] surrendered after the battle
        of Vanntar in 397, when the Dragonewts were destroyed by
        Dwarf Magic.  So many people fled to the Stormwalk Mountains,
        that a new tribe, the Hendriki, was formed from their refugees.'
                                p48 ToTRM#7

>> Looking at the origin of the Ring, I see that it is originally used to
>> convince herdmen to hand over their herds.

>But where in the world do you get that from?

The Myth of 'The First Ring' in KoS. I'm talking about the (Lightbringer's) Ring. Given that it is used for far more things now, I do not see why Umath's Companion's Myth should be so restricted.