Rings, Tricksters, and Teeth

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:56:17 +0000

Peter:

>>> Looking at the origin of the Ring, I see that it is originally used to >>> convince herdmen to hand over their herds. Me:
>>But where in the world do you get that from? Peter again:
> The Myth of 'The First Ring' in KoS. I'm talking about the
> (Lightbringer's) Ring. Given that it is used for far more things now,
> I do not see why Umath's Companion's Myth should be so restricted.

But Umath's Ring isn't the LB Ring, any more than it's the Clan Ring (either version). There is more than one Ring in existence! Umath's Ring might well be the origin of the Eternal Ring formed to guard the stead and provide mythic support while Orlanth was on the LBQ. But to actually be the LBQ Ring: no, it just doesn't make sense.

What we need for this to work is a means of transforming a structure designed to guard a camp into one designed for travelling. And having said that, I start to wonder about wagons, and tents, and being a nomad. If your first move is to define the Camp as something which is *not* stationary, then this might work. What we need is a Praxian HQer who knows something about Orlanthi myth. How about Argrath White Bull?

I notice that I made a slight mistake earlier when I said that Umath's Ring has no Trickster. It does mention an earlier version of him. "When Ratslaff told others of it he was killed." Sounds like a classic Betrayal to me.

Now, almost all I know about Ratslaff is his creation of the Boggles, with their amazing eating abilities. And the only place I know of where Boggles still hang out is right next to the Plateau of Statues: which, as Joerg fortuitously explained earlier, is where Jaldon (and later AWB) got their powers from. Powers which consisted mainly of eating walls. Do we start to see a pattern here?

Can we somehow fit AWB, complete with eating powers, as the Foodman? (If the White Bull is also the Silver Deer, he can provide food as well as consume it, it's OK!)
And also, several steps removed, as a Ratslaff rep. who did the betrayal?
And, due to his Praxian background, as the one who sorted out how to do the whole thing in the first place? If we can give him the Drinking Cauldron as well, so much the better.

Yes, I know, I wanted Garrath to do the betrayal: but if instead he convinced someone she trusted to do it for him, that's better yet. And much more his style!

Oh, and maybe we can use this to explain another bit of the SLBQ description:
"...a blindingly armed Lunar warrior appeared, half-way through her own sword-dance. The enemy was eventually killed, ..." It's always been assumed that "the enemy" is the Lunar. But if the enemy is the Ratslaff rep., who is *supposed* to be killed in the Umath myth, and who probably let the Lunar in, then we can have the Lunar simply driven off, to reappear another day. And then we can have her resemblance to Jareel be more than just a resemblance!

Do we have any record of AWB appearing after the SLBQ? I don't know of any that's unambiguously him, myself, but then I've taken very little interest in events after 1630.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/