Pharaonic Despotism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:18:54 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

JB>>>Before the Dragonkill War, nobody had to flee there from the Only Old
>>>One either.

Me>>The Only Old One was one of the chief beneficiaries of Arkat's Command.
>>Given that this caused the Kingdom of Dragon Pass to rise up in revolt,
>>I think plenty of people would have fled the OOO into Dragon Pass after
>>the Tax Slaughter.

>Not quite. Most of Kerofinela was under Dagori Inkarth control, the OOO
>controlled Esrolia and Caladraland, and (perhaps) Hendriki-ruled Heortland
>(which IMO included parts of modern Sartar and Grazelands in that time).
>I always thought the Tax Slaughter took place somewhere near Aldachur,
>outside of the OOO's sphere.

        'The success of the Yelmalio worshippers in Holay inspired
        the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass to try their skills as well.
        This struggle was longer and harder, and it did not begin
        until the Tax Slaughter of 578 when the revoluntionaries
        had prepared themselves.  There were several large battles
        in day or night, against both Dagori Inkarth and _Shadowlands_
        [my emphasis - phm] armies.  However, the human Orlanthi won
        out and freed themselves from the odious taxation.'
                                Uz Lore p34.

For someone who allegedly did not benefit from Arkat's Command, the OOO is putting a surprising amount of effort in crushing the rebellion. I think instead the division of Dragon Pass was 50:50 between the OOO and Dagori Inkarth.

>>>Or into the Praxian Marches, or into Ditaliland.

>>The Praxian marches are inhabited by hostile nomads

>And were settled in larger numbers in the early 1300s, after the failed
>Trader Prince expedition to Teshnos, if what was discussed a couple of weeks
>ago holds your approval.

How can one reach Teshnos without going through the Praxian Marches from the Holy Country (during the Closing)? And the Trader Princes are the Malkioni Lords of Maniria. They are not to be found in Heortland or God Forgot. Assuming that Knight Fort is meant here, no firm date has been attached to when it was founded AFAIK.

>>and the history of Wenelia is still largely unknown. Thus we cannot
>>rule out people fleeing brutal oppression by the OOO.

>Or vice versa. Read Geolgin Askarios.

All we have there is a war with Slontan Marines. No mention of refugees on either side.

>>>Fact is, people fled into the Shadowlands rather than out of them
>>>(except when the lands were invaded).

>>Name one migration into the Shadowlands.

>The Trader Princes of southern Heortland in the early 3rd Age.

That is not a migration! That is a bunch of knights seeking trade between Kethaela and the rest. And despite Joerg's suggestion, they were still intent on trading with Kethaela _after_ the Pharaoh took power.

>Of the 2nd Age, there is no data available, although I suppose that
>Old Day Traditionalists had it easier in the Shadowlands than in the
>EWF proper.

Weren't they in Talastar?

>>The Kingdom of Night had almost disintegrated after the Battle of
>>Night and Day in 379 such that the OOO's forces are not present at
>>the battle of Vanntar, nearly eighteen years later!

>I don't have the exact timetable before me, but wasn't this already the time
>of Palangio's siege of the Shadow Plateau? This is similar to "taking Exile
>in Whitewall" in 1619.

No. The Siege of the Shadow Plateau occurs after the battle of Vanntar as Palangio would have to subdue the 'newts and the last free DP Heortlings to reach the Shadow Plateau.

>>Thus I think the land
>>around the Stormwalk hills was not fled to because the OOO
>>ruled over it but rather that it was Terra Nullis.

>In the time before the Tax Slaughter, it was Terra Hendrikorum,
>and a lot better than being bullied by Dagori Inkarth trolls.

I doubt this as the Shadowlands also collected Arkat's Command.

>>As for the Esrolian migrations, surely their larger population would
>>mean that there would be more migrants into Dragon Pass? The number
>>of Vendref under the Grazer yoke (assuming that they are Esrolians)
>>seem to contradict this.

>Those who survived. Remember that the Grazers were Pentans by culture, with
>a thorough disregard for the ground people - cattle to be raided or
>slaughtered for fun.

Doesn't look like it according to p112 of KoS. Once the people were subjugated then the Grazers were quite happy to lord over them.