Re: Agimori in the West

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:24:41 +0100

Adam Betteridge asks:

> Can anyone give me information about Agimor in the west, I recall
> hearing/seeing something about them living there.

Those would be the "Black Knights" of Pithdaros, I imagine. Your source is the Genertela Book, Seshnela chapter.

> Where do they live?

In Pithdaros, a coastal land just south of the Duchy of Nolos, shown on the GB map of Seshnela.

> What sort of civilisation do they have? What sort of religion do
> they follow? Any information you can give will be appreciated.

They arrived c.900 years ago, and are said to have been "absorbed into the populace". I'd assume they are largely assimilated into Western society -- that is, they now have a Malkioni culture and religion, their wizards wear pointy hats and cast sorcery spells, and their knights dress up in chainmail hauberks with kite shields and ride around on warhorses.

Comparing them to the Agimori back home would be about as fair as comparing a 16th century Englishman to a Saxon in a longboat. Though *of course* there are whatever ethnic and ancestral survivals you require to make your games more interesting -- just as I'm sure there are weird ancient rituals going on in the backwoods of Seshnela, areas supposedly wholly Malkioni in belief.

I think they're a great chance to:

(1) Have equivalents to the "Saracen Knights" of King Arthur's court (Sir Palomides, etc.), especially if you liked T.H. White's "take" on the latter;

(2) Either demonstrate racial tolerance or racial intolerance in the West, depending on your campaign needs and requirements.

The thought that the Duke of Nolos might have a bodyguard of 7' Agimori knights in iron plate armour is suitably chilling, too...

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>