Hrestol's Saga

From: Bill Thompson <interlit_at_pacificcoast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:59:17 +0100

>Joerg Baumgartner in response to:

>>Peter Metcalfe:
>>I do not believe that the New Hrestol Way were the only followers
>>of Hrestol's truths. IMO the Serpent Kings did as well.

>Definitely. The early Serpent Kings probably were the ones to spread
>Hrestol's way of knighthood. It seems that even the deformed rulers of
>Seshnela themselves underwent chivalrous training.

Indeed I must concur. Rathomar, son of Froalar and Seshna Likita, hosted the first ecclesiastical council in Frowal. The agenda if I recall correctly was to codify Hrestol's teachings from around the dawn times. I had placed 200 st as the time when the THW took power but I also felt that they had been active for quite a time before that. So if the Serpent Kings supported Hrestol's teachings then it is quite likely that a conservative, anti-pagan group rose up in reaction to them. If that is the case, then why did it take fifty years for the THW to seize power after the end of Likita's Dynasty in 150 st. I get this feeling that there was more involved here than just a reaction to the serpent kings...

>Lord Julian in response to:

>>Peter Metcalfe: =
>>If we are to describe the Brithini as Orthodox, we would be
>>defining the mainstream Malkioni churches (Rokari, Hrestoli
>>and Sedalpists) as heterodox which is a most unsatisfactory
>>state of affairs IMO.

>Your opinion obviously differs from that of an inhabitant
>of Old Brithos who might very well consider the Rokari,
>Hrestoli and Sedalpist churches as heterodox. Are the =
>Malkioni somehow *righter* than the Brithini from a
>cross-cultural POV?

LJ has reminded me that when I view these cultures I do so by trying to see the world from their eyes. So when I apply these labels after the fact it is to try and make sense of the world as they saw it. I think it is quite likely that the
Brithini still think of themselves as being the Orthodox faith. They would quite likely view the Seshnegi as deluded fools. After all, the Seshnegi chose to follow Malkion after Brithos had already judged him and banished him.

We can look at them from a distance and say. "Well the Brithini underwent marked change during the silence so they are no longer the same religion as they were before."

However we could also say that the Catholic Church underwent marked change say during the Reformation or earlier, how many times have they had more than one pope? Yet try to tell a priest that they are not the Holy Roman Church and he'll quite likely pop you with a dozen hail mary's and a thorough scourging.

>>P. Metcalfe
>>The key factoid that I would emphasize here is that the mainstream
>>Malkioni also have this same tradition that stretches back to the
>>Kingdom of Logic. The Brithini and the Malkioni Churches are really
>>sibling creeds rather than the Brithini being ancestral to the
>>Malkioni.

I don't think "siblings" puts their relationship in focus. It leads one to believe that they were occuring simultaneously which was not the case

Certainly they are both of them linked to the Kingdom of Logic through the person of Malkion yet where did he teach first. KoL, which became Brithos.

It was dueing the Ice Age that
"Exiled from Brithos, he crossed the Raging Sea to the land of Seshneg. He founded the city of Malkonwal, which became his holy city."

So if Malkion didn't leave Brithos until the Ice Age, then he had hundreds, perhaps thousands of years of history with the existing system. Then he cocks it all up by mentioning Solace and before you can say "Bob's your uncle" he finds himself in the colonies where his rube cousins are willing to build him a city and set him back in power.

I find more in commen with a Nasorean splinter sect changing direction from the Jewish Orthodoxy. To this day the Orthodox jews are still a vibrant community and also to this day the Nasoreans have continued although with significantly more changes.

>Joerg Baumgartner
>So, instead of 12.5% of your soul I can now demand 20%? How much more need I
>feed out to get 50%? ;-)

lol

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Yes my interest went from mild to moderate and the amount of my soul that I was willing to barter away kept pace.
Mind now it's not much of a deal, though I find it comfortable, others might find it a bit draughty and threadworn.Last time I looked it still had a "Dazed and Confused" lapel pin/roach clip attached. On the plus side though I understand that bell bottom souls are back in fashion these days.

more later....

"Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie.""