Hero wars: the Criticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:56:01 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Hibbs:

>The very real danger in disclosing details is that people will get
>preconcieved notions of whether they like or dislike the game before
>it's been finished, regardless of what the final game is actualy like.
>We had that at Germany - poeple saying things like "I don't like this
>game because it doesn't have X". Well, it's far from complete yet, and
>getting X, Y and Z put into the game, if they're important, is what
>playtesting is all about.

>I think that widespread dissemination of information about the game,
>such as on this digest, would be counterproductive. I think it should
>only be disclosed in actual playtests or in the context of the game's
>ongoing development.

Bolloxs. There has already been discussion of the game FYI and to imagine that the game is so fragile we must avoid all discussion of it lest We Utterly Ruin It by Malicious and Spiteful Criticism is rather hypersensitive methinks.

BTW did you tell people at the German Con to avoid discussing it for similar reasons? If not, why not?