Re: Glorantha list: problems?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:26:25 +0100 (BST)

Robert McArthur:
> Is it my imagination (not), or something I've done (possible) that means the
> list is no longer being sent, in digest form, 2-3 times per day but is now
> down to once every three days or so?

You would be correct in that perception, and digest numbering makes it clear it's not just you (and I).

> I'm just wondering whether I'm missing out on a lot, or everyone's so quiet...

It seems that things are relatively quiet, and that the list server waits for quite a while before deciding to send what it has anyway. Prior to the shift over to the chaosium server (I think? Or was it the move before that?) the list seemed a tad more eager in sending out "small" Digests, pretty much one per day come what may, which I personally thought was a much more sensible policy. An excessively long delay in messages appearing on the list is a Bad Thing in my view, as it can lead both to unnecessary duplication of replies to "simple" questions, and perhaps in the extreme case, to a throttling off of discussion while everyone sits around wondering why they haven't had a digest this week...

Personally I'd choose to receive it un-digested, mind you, if that were an option. (Apparently as a matter of Policy, it isn't.)

Slainte,
Alex.