Malkioni Mysticism.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:04:38 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Hibbs

>The Malkioni seem to have their own form of mysticism - Arkati
>Enlightenment. Whatever that is.

I would restrict Arkatism to Ralios rather than have Arkati in Fronela and Umathela. IMO the traditions of the Perfecti and the Cult of Silence are the local mystical cults. The extent of Arkati influence in Seshnela/Tanisor is an interesting question - IMO such influence is minor.

>It would appear that each great mytho-magical tradition in Glorantha
>has it's own form of transcendentconciosuness. Arkati Enlightenment
>for monotheists, Illumination for theists and Mystical Enlightenment
>for eastern mystic types. Of course the terminology becomes holeplessly
>confusing very quickly.

To clarify the confusion: The basic magic tradition of the Kralori is Mysticism (I am using the CoT/God Learner classification*). The Teshnans IMO are Theists whereas the Dream Magic of the East Isles seems to be naturalism.

Mysticism is known to the Lunars under the guise of the cults of Nysalor, the Red Goddess and the ascetic dieties (cf enclosure #1). The Lunars also practice Theism of which the chief cult is Yelm and Materialism which was brought into Peloria by the Carmanians.

The Orlanthi are Theists and have no mystical cults. They do have some form of transcendant consciousness (presumably within the cults of Orlanth, Ernalda, Humakt and Mastakos) as per a recent Greg Sez. Whether this is something experienced by all Orlanthi within their religion or something which occurs in civilized places such as the Holy Country is anyone's guess. My feeling is the latter (based on the absense of such beliefs in KoS) but I have been wrong before.

The Malkioni are Materialists pure and simple. The Fronelan Malkioni do know of the Hidden Mover but they disclaim all contact with him and can only commune with the One Mind (who was discovered by the God Learners). The Seshnegi presumably have similar beliefs but the differences are unknown. Therefore, it appears the Hrestoli and the Jonatings seemingly have no transcendant conciousness within their religion. To get that, one would have to join the Perfecti IMO.

The Carmanians are a special case. Most are simply theists save for the Vizers who are materialists and the Magi who would be mystics.

*Purely as a matter of interest, I see that the CoT sequence: Naturalism/Theism/Humanism/Mysticism differs from the sequence in the new game (to wit: Materialism/Shamanism/Theism/Mysticism.

Tom Zunder:

> I rather suspect that the Lunars present themselves as continuing
> the Malkioni tradition and theology.

Some lunars, most notably the Arrolians and the Carmanians do see themselves as being heirs of the Malkioni. Others (namely the Dara Happans and the eastern and southern satrapies) would see the Lunar Way as being the continuation of their native traditions.