Illumination, cnstructive comments appreciated

From: Ian Thomson <ithomson_at_swin.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:51:13 +0000

This piece can be written as early as 1620, but is more likely to have been written in 1627. Where it was researched is up to the Storyteller, or perhaps never known. Once again it turns up in Pavis, probably in the private collection of one of the Lhankor Mhy priests. Or maybe it turns up 'on the street' having been given by that Priest to someone as payment, stolen, or just left at Gimpy's after a particularly strenuous drinking session.

The Illuminati:

My quest seems endless; at least the one to whom I owe this debt drives me along paths that I often find rewarding. Nevertheless, sometimes I dread that there is no point to knowledge itself, and am happy that the life experience I gain through travelling to these different cities is worth far more. Still the credit from my share of the items from the demon horde is good for another decade or more, providing some ignorant savage doesn't have me burned as a God Learner.

This time I have been directed to define 'illumination', and here I will attempt to do so, with my usual brevity. My contact initially has been over the last seven months with a variety of individuals, none of whom were self-proclaimed as 'illuminated', and with eight principal texts purporting to hold keys to 'illumination' by the riddles contained therein. At the present moment I fail to see the difference between 'illumination' and a breadth of knowledge from as unbiased a viewpoint as possible. Nevertheless here is my piece.

Nysalor Riddles
I will not discuss the nature of Nysalor/Gbaji or Arkat. This has been done in much greater depth than I could hope to accomplish, by much more knowledgeable individuals. Suffice to say that it is claimed that individuals may become 'illuminated' through the contemplation and discussion of Riddles. These riddles, as best I can attempt to describe them, are designed to give clues to the hidden mystic nature of reality. Those I have heard, and the few I have been able to answer, certainly are philosophically challenging (albeit no more so than other works I have read by great thinkers such as Lor Tsau of Kralorela, and Margsh the Carmanian.) Apparently when one has answered a certain number of riddles, which I postulate is not a fixed number, one reaches a sudden, or gradual, understanding and becomes
'illuminated'.

Defining 'Illumination'

As I have intimated already, 'illumination' seems to me not so different from the detached understanding of an open-minded philosopher. However, others, more expert than I, claim that the difference is far greater. An off the cuff definition I can give is that illuminated beings comprehend the totality of existence, and that they are aware of the balance between all forces (most notably Chaos and Law). They claim that there is no absolute definition of anything, whether it be good and evil, or right and wrong. It seems the state they claim is one of distance from the mundane laws, perceptions and common restrictions that other mortals hold. Practically it seems to be the case that all Illuminati avoid extreme actions of any kind, and certainly appear in some cases to have much clearer and broader awareness than the usual Gloranthan. There appears to be the kernel of a common philosophy amongst the illuminants that I spoke to, and that is this. All mortals are here in the physical world as manifestation of a greater consciousness that lies behind the reality we know. Mortals are tied to defined roles because of the nature of the Gods' Compromise, whereas the spirit of each mortal is an immortal force untied to the rules and strictures of the physical plane. Barring absolutely being devoured by Chaos, each spirit is indestructible. If true this might explain why mortals are able to become immortals or demi-gods, through realisation of their immortal soul. Two of my interviewees also stated that they believed illumination was all about choice - the choice to worship whom one wished, to obey the strictures one wished to, and to make one's own mistakes on one's own merits without imposed regulation of any kind. Interestingly enough, both of these people held strong beliefs stemming from their original culture, although these were more flexible than otherwise might have been expected. They said they chose to remain true to their old beliefs, as they felt it gave them the chance to bring a little more peace and enlightenment to others, to ease the suffering, and perhaps to guide others on the path. And in both I noted a certain fondness for these beliefs and their unilluminated comrades. How specifically are
'illuminated' beings different from others?

Illuminated beings, as well as the profoundly different philosophical viewpoint I have attempted to describe, can be illustrated by certain concrete abilities/gifts they have that others do not. However not all Illuminati hold the same gifts, although some are apparently almost universal. These almost universal Illuminated abilities are: i) An indifference to the hatred and terror of Chaos that the majority of non-chaotics hold. Rather, the Illuminati understand that Chaos and Law are opposite sides of the same concept, each with its own right to exist. This does not mean that all Illuminate tolerate Chaos however ii) The ability to recognise other illuminated beings. Apparently this is not a universal ability, and may be restricted by the nature of one's own 'illumination'. Also it is noted that newly, or slightly, illuminated beings are much harder to recognise. iii) Immunity to Detect Chaos/Law magic. This apparently IS universal iv) The ability to ignore Cult restrictions. Another allegedly universal one v) Immunity to Cult Spirits of Reprisal (also universal). Such spirits never visit an Illuminate no matter what they do.

Other abilities I have come across convincing descriptions of are i) The ability to Illuminate others through Riddling (Re-telling the Nysalor riddles one has correctly comprehended) ii) Immunity to Divination of any kind iii) Immunity to mind control of any kind iv) Immunity to poison and/or disease v) Invulnerability to Spirit Combat vi) Immortality vii) The ability to be perceived in more than one place at a time. (Margsh fails to make this important distinction and lists it as the 'ability to be in more than one place at a time.) ix) The ability to use sorcery and spirit magic concurrently without penalty or restriction x) The ability to heal wounds by thought xi) Chaotic illuminates may retain their Chaotic Features whilst no longer being Chaotic

The dilemmas of being 'illuminated'

The most commonly levied criticism in this part of the world is that all Illuminati are Chaotic because they don't instinctively hate Chaos. However there are several Illuminated Chaos killers, so this does not hold water, and can be regarded as superstition. (It is my own theory that there are different types or levels of 'illumination', more on that later.) Nevertheless it does seem that many Illuminati who lack a deep moral, ethical, cultural, or religious set of values can fall prey to immense moral dilemmas, including eventual inability to distinguish between acts that add to general quality of life, and those that cause pain, suffering, and destruction. Even many of those that do have the opportunity to embrace a full set of values often fail to do so, especially over time, and become what, to all intents and purposes, might be described as evil or chaotic. The main dilemma is the very real risk to one's person of being burned at the stake or simply torn apart, by superstitious barbarians.

The different types of 'illumination'
In my research across nine regions I have uncovered evidence that, not only are followers of the Red Goddess illuminated to some extent, but also many followers of Eurmal the Trickster, some of the Ralian Arkati, and also the worshippers of Arachne Solara. Whilst many consider the worship of Arachne Solara to be mythical or pure fraudulence, I have acquired several ancient volumes which suggest otherwise, and on completion of this work I fully intend to investigate some of the rituals contained therein.

The similarities between these forms of worship at first appear to be few, however the major one is that both Arachne Solara and the various incarnations of the Trickster are both said to be apart from the God's Compromise: the Spider Goddess because she co-ordinates the compromise, and Trickster because no oath or rule can bind him. How this relates to the Red Goddess is unclear, except that of course she returned to Glorantha from outside of the compromise, having not been in existence on this plane since Time began. Perhaps there is a link there, as this is similar to the origin of Nysalor himself, to which Arachne Solara so strenuously objected. As for Arkat I would not care to comment unfavorably and therefore will not comment at all.

The main differences between this religious 'illumination' and regular Illuminati seems, to me, to be the value systems I mentioned earlier. Whilst the religious 'illumination' is restricted by cult philosophies and precepts, these very restrictions allow the exploration of
'illumination' on much stronger ground. The evidence for insanity and
acts of perversion or cruelty amongst these types of Illuminants is much less, although classification of such acts attributed to Tricksters is sometimes impossible.

No one was more surprised than I to discover that one philosopher claimed he had evidence that the Telmori Pure Ones are all illuminated at least in some minor way, which to him explained their lack of Chaos taint and ability to control their change into wolves.

As for degrees of 'illumination', they definitely exist but are not stratified in any logical way. A person may remain at what could be called the beginner's level for their entire life, whilst another person might answer a handful of Riddles and be catapulted into a state of major 'illumination'. Also the gifts of 'illumination' are gained without apparent logic, and a wise man might receive few, whilst an illuminated fool receives many.

Conclusion

It took me three days of contemplation before I could write this last section. My head has been spinning with the ideas I have come across. I visited the Lunar 'P' again and he offered me yet another riddle. It took much effort not to throw my drink back in his face; after all he has been such a friend to me. It wasn't until I staggered home past the Uleria temple, and was contemplating the difference between decadence and honest desire, that the answer to the riddle came to me. I awoke in a gutter and was assisted home by the watch (after scattering a few silvers), thankful for the benefits of civilization.

My old colleague, I think I comprehend your purpose at last, the atonement I have sought is not through self-punishment, it is through self-realisation. What are you? A ghost, a memory, an evil spirit? I know not the truth, or whether the truth is even out there. I perceive now that the truth is inside, as it has always been, external desires being but distractions. And still my mind rages with questions and qualifications, out of which comes the awareness that there is only one truth, that there is no truth except the one you choose to own. I thank you and I curse you, as you have cursed me, twice now. I know now that I can stop this quest whenever I like, and yet I may choose to continue, it has become who I am. May you find comfort in whichever hell you undoubtedly dwell, and maybe one day I shall come and visit you there.

DB

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #667