Waha and Nick

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:08:44 -0700

Howdy -

Richard Develyn writes:
>Asked another way, imagine a tribe of giraffe riders suddenly appeared
>out of the wastes, claiming that they were a resurrected lost tribe,
>what sort of practices would this new tribe have which identified them
>as a Waha tribe (IYSWIM) and what practives would they definately not
>have?

Well, in order to be a "resurrected lost tribe" they would have to be able to latch onto some Praxian myth about the "lost tribe" of giraffe folk.  They would have to show that they were familiar with "Waha's rites" - i.e. the Praxian style of butchery, ceremonial invocation, etc. In other words, if they "act" and "speak" like a Waha tribe AND they help explain a Waha myth ("the giraffe folk of Prax wandered off to the east one day and were never seen again."), then they could be identified as a Waha tribe.

Does that make sense? Praxians are not cultural anthropologists - they won't observe that a people respectfully butcher their animals and assume that gesture is the same gesture that Waha taught them.

On another tangent - Nick Brooke. The Man. A great rock and roll icon, a veritable Leningrad Cowboy. Good to see you back in action.

I hope Ian takes Nick's comments as constructive criticism and proper editing suggestions, because I doubt they are meant as a shower of cold water - despite Simon Phipp's sour-puss comment. Personally, I'd try to get away from the stupid cookie-cutter cult writeup format from RQ2/3 with its mandatory system of Rune Levels. Instead, just tell us what 1) what is Deezola worship, 2) what are the body of beliefs associated with Deezola worship and 3) how is it organized.

Jeff