Re: Runic Exclusion Principle

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 01:48:21 +0100 (BST)

Simon Hibbs has at me:
> >So at the crudest level, one GLer school might suggest that Basmol and
> >Sakkar are just different aspects of Generic Purry Furry Carnivore God.

> Arbitrarily deciding to give all hsunchen the same runes, or artificialy
> fixing it so each one has a unique set just because it looks cool, are
> IMHO both equaly undesirable.

Let me clarify: I'm advocating neither. Rather, my theory is a meta-theory about any number of possible God Learner theories, any or all of which may be more or less true (or not).

> How's this for a compromise. The hsunchen cults themselves stay pretty
> much the same

As? You mean the generic Hykim short-form?

TTrotsky does likewise:
> I agree we get on to very dodgy ground here. One non-circular test which
> is at least interesting, if hardly conclusive, is common initiation.>>

> I agree that common initiation might well indicate that various River
> gods are in some way fundamentally the same. However, coming back to Hsunchen
> again, I personally doubt that Damala and Pralor, say, have common initiation,
> but I suspect their runes may be the same.

When I say "common initiation", I should clarify, I don't mean that the cults formally or socially allow this, or even that they be at all friendly. rather I mean in the sense that, if you perform a Damala ritual in a Pralor temple, ignoring the feeble protests of the locals, does it actually work? And such like.

In any event, I'm sure that any stereotyped GLer would merrily say "Damala and Pralor", yeah, they're both offspring/aspects of Mother Deer, which is herself a daughter of Father Even Toed Ungulate, or whichever.

Slainte,
Alex.