RE: HW Points, Kolat

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:32:39 +0100

Duncan Rowlands:
>Gauging how many action points to stake was a bit tricky
>but this would, I think, come with practice.

Some people might like to think that staking points has an effect on the outcome, but I don't believe it. All it seems to do is speed it up or slow it down. I'd be most inclined to choose a stake that is dramatically appropriate, and I think this should be encouraged over any other consideration.

One thing that Robin pointed out is that staking low tends to produce the statistically likely outcome, as more rolls will average out. Staking high is worthwhile if the odds are against you.

George Harris:
>My main worry here is with action points and the wagering of them.
>What the hell does an action point represent to the character?

How much of a risk is being taken. Am I circling, shield raised, looking for a weakness (low stake), or am I leaping on top of him with my greatsword flailing wildly (high stake)?

James Chapin:
>Do you know of something called the Kolat in reference to
>Glorantha? A friend was asking me about it...

Kolat is mentioned in KoS, Kolatings are Orlanthi shamans. They're mentioned alongside Meldeks in the section on Godi. (Interesting that the Meldeks are disliked and mistrusted, but are still recognised as Godi, and have an influential place in the council!)

http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
Any view of things that is not strange is false