Buseri

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:12:17 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

Me>> I have strong reservations about saying the Starseers are
>> materialists.

>To be more precise, I'm saying they're Mystic Materialists, not
>pure-strain one or t'other.

I would dispute the label of MM. I think the Dayzatari are pure mystics and the Buseri are neither materialists nor mystics. They do acknowlege that stars have spirits according to the GRoY (Ivory Pages p84) which would be a characteristic of theistic worldview.

>> The Buserium are associated with writing and scribecraft as
>> well as celestialogy but this is not hard evidence that they
>> are materialists. Lhankor Mhy also has similar interests
>> but nobody suggests that the Grey Sages are Materialists.

>That's true, but the Grey Sages don't go around obsessively measuring
>everything, or having such choice 'cult secrets' as "As you all know
>[*], most of your culture's mythology is historical bunk".

Obsessive measurement alone is not a sufficient criterion for the Buseri to tick the materialists worldview? box IMO. The statement that Buseri do a Henry Fordesque turn and say 'mythology is bunk' is news to me.

>> FWIW the mode of Buseri worship is stated as being 'Adoration'

>I think Buserian is a sort of Dayzatar "subcult", in some vague
>sense.

There are roughly 19 000 Buserium of assorted stripes in and around Peloria but only 4 000 Dayzatar ascetes. Although the Buserium cult and the Dayzatar cult both have their origins in Yuthuppa, the Buserium are pretty much these days a stand-alone cult that observes the Heavens whereas the Dayzatar dotards are mostly found collecting cobwebs in Yuthuppa.