Re: Junora: Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 02:06:08 +0100 (BST)

Michael "van der" Cule writes, replying to Peter on Western:

> >This has been dealt with before and the concensus is that it's in
> >an alphabetic script but people only use it for writing down

> Why? It makka no sense! For a script to be used to communicate by
> groups using differing spoken languages seems to require an ideographic
> script. If it is alphabetic the language will mutate as the written
> language mutates and will soon be mutually incomprehensible.

Just like English you mean, whose spelling has of course mutated to _exactly_ match pronunciation?

> The analogy with Latin as a common sacred tongue fails because Latin has
> a spoken and written form of its own.

I think there probably is a common(ish) spoken form, it's just what you hear on the streets. A sort of "Church Western", as it were.

> I think it must be more like
> Japanese and Chinese using ideographs to communicate.

That's _definitely_ a flawed analogy, as Japanese and Chinese don't have a common written form (just a common set of ideograms).

I think one's best RW analogue is probably Arabaic, as others have suggested; supposedly an alphabetic language, but "creatively" read according to the local spoken language.

> p 34 of Player's Book Genertela says they are *so* Orlanthi. Unless this
> has been officially Gregged?

It merely says "Cults: Orlanth pantheon", which ain't the same thing at all. In fact, note that every other group of "Orlanthi" are combined in the single "Barbarian Belt" entry. I think Ygg's Isles are at the least widely acknowledged to be non-Orlanthi storm worshippers -- if it hasn't been Gregged yet, just wait a while. (Several of the entries in these sections are clearly "placeholders", by analogy with closest-known cult/pantheon, not Greg's Honest Truth.)

Slainte,
Alex.