Feedback for Dave Black

From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:00:18 +0500

G'day all,

Feedback for Dave Black

Sorry to say, I've gotta wonder whether this project has legs - it sounds like an undertaking of *herculean* magnitude, and one seemingly fraught with all manner of copyright complications.

But hey, thanks for giving the obscure "Tizcomer" a run as your example of how things would work! Note though, that the island is actually called "Tizocmer".

Note too that while it first featured in "Notes from Nochet" in Tales #10 (as identified in your listing), you missed Nils Weinander et al mentioning it again in the East Isles section of Tales #18:

 "Tizocmer. Diety: Axayaktal. Located in the central region. At the  instigation of their god Axayaktal, the Tizocmerenes rose up against the  trading post town of Haragalans on their island. The Haralagans responded  harshly, placing the island into servitude."

    (from "The Isles of Dawn" section, p.41)

I'm glad I've had a chance to bring this up, because since reading Tales #18 I've felt it was a shame this rather bland paraphrase leaves out the ironical key point I was trying to get across in the original, which is that the island god brought about his *own* people's downfall. I'm glad this wasn't lost on you though:

>Locality: Tizcomer (sic)

>inhabitants of the island allowed missionaries from the Haragalan
>Commonwealth to supplant their traditional religion. Earthquakes, boiled
>lagoons, and failed crops were visited upon them for this - even after they
>mended their ways and kicked the missionaries out. All these punishments led
>to the Tizocmerenes being unable to defend against the Haragalan
>counterattack. Tizocmer is now part of the Haragalan Commonwealth.

Note that Nils's version describes the Haragalan presence on the island as a "trading post town", while my original (appended at the bottom) called them missionaries. A problem you might have in compiling your summaries is that inconsistencies between published sources like this *abound* throughout the literature. To see what I mean, check out "What Happened to the One True Glorantha?" on Nick Brooke's web page
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/>, which shows this has been the case all along, right from Glorantha's earliest days.

And in your sample summary I see you've introduced the notion of "failed crops". This appears in neither original text, and while it might be fairly trivial (but do we know the Tizocmerenes practice agriculture?), I don't think a database such as you are proposing should introduce material that does not originate from the published source(s). At the least, guesses, assumptions or editorialising by the compilers should be clearly identified as such.

Sorry to have been so picky with your representative sample, but this should give you an idea of just how hard it's gonna be to get things right, accurate and up to date.

On your specific questions:

>1. How much would you be willing to pay for the Basic Pack?

A$22.16 (is this really only worth 8 quid - sheeeit!)

>2. How much would you be willing to pay for each Supplemental Pack?

Very much depends how cool the first one is. Let's say A$8.31 for now. And I'd buy 'em all.

>3) How much would you be willing to pay per month for a subscription to a
>particular 'Pack'?

Well, if it's more than a Cdn buck, I won't be paying in British Pounds, that's for sure!:
>$1.00 Cdn (0.40 British Pounds, $0.65 US, or $1.11 Australian)
>$2.00 Cdn (6.02 British Pounds, $1.30 US, or $2.22 Australian)
>$3.00 Cdn (9.03 British Pounds, $1.95 US, or $3.33 Australian)

>How many 'Subscriptions' would you be interested in receiving if you were to
>pursue this idea?

Them all.

>4) If you were to become a client of this service would you prefer to have
>the information delivered electronically in digital form or as hard copy
>printed pages?

Both. I got a PC, Win 95, internet access (duh) and neither Clarisworks nor MSW.
>5) Feel free to make comments, observations, and the like here. I'm most
>interested in knowing as much about what you'd like to see as possible.

As said above, I've got me doubts such an ambitious project would ever get off the ground: it seems to be both a logistical nightmare and legal minefield. A quick flick through the Rick Meints Index of Glorantha (MiG) will give you an idea of just how much material exists out there that would have to be catalogued. A Lhankor Mhy HeroQuest if there ever was one! Sorry to have been a bit of a wet blanket, but - good luck!

Cheers,

MOB

>From the "Notes from Nochet" files:

 [XXIX.21-014.g] Axayaktal, god of the Tizocmerenes, found himself  being supplanted by the activities of missionaries from the Haralagan  Commonwealth. In a jealous rage, Axayaktal brought terrible  earthquakes on the island, and boiled the lagoon until all the fish  died. Chastened by their god, the people of Tizocmer drove out the  missionaries and burned their temple. But because of their god's  intemperate acts, famine struck the island, and when a Commonwealth  fleet sailed against them, they were in no condition to resist.  Tizocmer is now a slave nation under the lash of the Haralagans,  and Axayaktal broods in his dead lagoon.

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
  Research Associate, Bayswater Primary School   Learning Technologies Navigator School, Bayswater, Victoria, Australia   Telephone: +61-3-9721-3755 Fax: +61-3-9720-8986   <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
  MOB's Glorantha Page: http://gateway.bayswater.schnet.edu.au:81/~mob/

  9 Parker Street, Richmond 3121, Victoria, Australia   Home Telephone: +61-3-9428-9048

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #151