Godtongue

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:55:33 +0100

Brian Tickler :

>The "words" themselves are not only sound, but transmit the expended
>power in a way that only those with access to the Infinity rune can
feel and
>understand. Those without such access may speak or write words, but
can
>never understand them fully, even if someone who could understand the
>words tried to explain them using a conventional language. By
expending
>more power (oftentimes permanent, depending on the desired effect),
>Godtongue can be used to "speak" to anything and ask it or force it to
do
>something. Factors involved in determining the amount of power
>expenditure required are many, but here's a few guidelines:

Interestign ideas, which echo some of the ideas in kabbalism. However, there is a problem. If mortals can't understand Godtongue, how can they be expected to obey it? If you can command a tree (which is a mortal entity) to do something in Godtongue, surely the tree can understand godtongue at some level?

>Performing effects using Godtongue puts a strain on the "Net" of the
>Compromise in the localized area where the Godtongue is spoken and
where
>its effect is directed. Things have been known to slip through the Net

>when this occurs. :)

Assuming that godtongue is the method by which the gods express the force of their will, not just it's meaning. Though magicaly I agree the two are inextricably linked, they are distinct nevertheless.

It's not that I disagree with you in principle, but this is how I imagine all magic to work in Glorantha anyway. I believe that rune spells embody the kind of expression of divine power you are talking about here.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #165