Re: Languages in Glorantha

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 03:55:54 +0100 (BST)

Charles Domino presumed, some time ago:
> Eastern Islander or whatever their languages are called

Tanyen (and relatives thereof). (G:G, Bk 1.)

> are tonal languages, like oriental languages are here.

Well, as Chinese is, at any rate... (Though Sweden is kinda "oriental" from where I'm sitting... Nils's Eastern connections become evident!) In our haste to import terrestrial analogues, let's not forget that (say) Japanese is about as tonal as a smack in the chops with a wet tunafish. Hrm, perhaps I should say "rapid succession of smacks".

> Grandfather Mortal/Flesh Man, or whomever made
> either (I'm a little vague on that point, I
> confess)

Varies enormously by local myth. Do you want the answer for Wild Man, Flesh Man, whoever the Dara Happan geezer is called, Malkion the Founder/Old Man...?

> Humans, being the basic form, were presumably first [man rune race].

Hence the well-known description of aldryami, mostali, uz, et al as "Younger Races" -- it all makes sense now!

(duck and run)

Slainte,
Alex.