Humakti/illumination

From: Richard Ohlson <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 01:46:40 -0400

The discusion of what Humakti Rune Lords are called got me thinking. For one, I am a big fan of different areas of Glorantha being slightly different from others. Think of Pulp Fiction, and "It's the little things."

So, in some parts of Glorantha, they're called Swords of Humakt. In others, they are called Death Lords. Chances are, in areas that have a strong Troll precense, the Zorak Zorani have whacked all the Humakti who call themselves Death Lords, but then again.....we are assuming that Uz and Human Languages translate into English nicely.

Also, I've noticed quite a few people refer to "Fangs of Wachaza", when the proper title is "Warmaster." Lets face it, who cares? I mean, as flavor it's fun to have different titles, and it'd be a hoot when a Warmaster and a Fang try to figure out who has authority over a big pile of initiates.

On a different note, we all know that (most, if not all) illuminates get to shrug off cult restrictions. However, is there a chance that they would also lose their corresponding gifts? I mean, does the gift come from the god, who has to set there and think about it and keep the gift going? Or is it a kind of magic that relies upon the behavior to maintain it? For instance, if you stop saying the words for you bladesharp, it'll stop working, right? If on the other handa god is activly maintaining the geas, wouldn't he have to maintain the gift also?

Rich Ohlson