Thunder, HW, stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:46:13 +0100 (BST)

David Cake, in a thread that at least Once Upon a Time, was about women using thunder magic, says:

> Well, Robin has put a lot of work into producing what he thinks is
> a nice product (I tend to agree with him). However, it has yet to pass
> through the delicate process of Greggly editing, so none of the Gloranthan
> details should be regarded as definitive as yet.

Just to restate something that I've said in this thread more than once: this did not begin as a HW discussion/argument at all. Rather it was simply a question about _Glorantha_, until people started to throw in HW-based (or HW-guilty-by-association, perhaps) arguments and counter-arguments in.

I for one have certainly not sought to "blame" any HW draft, much less the person of one R. Laws, for any particular take on the Vinga/Thunder thing. Hence Michael Schwartz's "categorical" summary (of yet another draft, mind), whilst interesting in itself, is somewhat by the by, since it tells us nothing really about Glorantha, per se.

(Very Informative HW character info, thanks for that, Mike.)

> Orlanth Thunderous is a magic package. Storm Voice is a keyword
> that happens to have that magic package.

Ah! Opaque terminology suddenly become clear!

> Some magic packages are possessed by several keywords (for example,
> Helerites also have Orlanth Thunderous - unfortunately, also male).

Hrm. Hrm... Hrm. This is interesting, I see possible Significance to this. Jeff?

> Alex also queries my on my
> >> propounding the Lunar/Pelorian/Pelandan world view.

> >Which one? (And I don't just mean which of that three-part-list.)

> The glorious word of the Red Goddess, of course

That was a mostly-rhetorical question; I think "Lunar" is only the beginnings of the description of someone's outlook, much more so than is, say "Orlanthi". Almost a meta-worldview, really.

> The real Orlanthi Ubermensch might have been Lokamayadon, though,
> and the Orlanthi rejected that path some time back.

Perhaps the "Orlanthi Akhenaten"? And: did they?

> The clan creation stuff, for example, is fantastic.

I, myself, am salivating at mere hints and second-hand accounts of this. Even more so that the Pendragon Grandfather's and Father's History tables which set the precedent for this perhaps, which I've found cool enough to go on and on about in gratuitous fashion (like now). (One player was so taken with this that he demanded to start rolling next on the "Own History" table. Helpfully, another player cuffed him around the head at this point, in an attempt to restart cerebral activity. ;-) Possibily futile, mind...)

Sl\'{a}n,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #216