dashed hopes

From: styopa_at_iname.com
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:12:25 -0500

>>If this is allowed, why not "knows how to kill Crimson Bat with 3
>>rapid blinks"?
>A combat ability that only works against the crimson bat, has to be
>raised independently of any other combat skill, and starts at 6/14. No
>problem.

So this is what happened at Whitewall! One of the damn Orlanthi was one of the HW playtesters, and had this in his (or her) hundred-word write up!

I bet the Lunars never expected THAT! Poor sods....

Alex writes:
>the solution is rather clear if it's a PC.) There's a small, but
>interesting game-philosophy issue here, perhaps, in terms of how much
Alex, I wouldn't say at all that it was a small issue. It's a central question that a GM must answer as they pick up the phone to tell their buddies there's a new campaign being started. Do I have a world in which the story largely revolves about the players, and they affect events on a macro scale, or do I have a world in which deeper currents are almost ALWAYS running, and the characters pretty much have to go about their business and duck when the big waves come (if that idiom isn't TOO confused - sorry...).
IMG, it MUST be the second, evolving to the first as a reward for survival.  But in no case are characters ever really in *complete* control of what's going on, and only very rarely do important NPC's even CARE about the PC's until late in the campaign.
Are they big fish or little fish - it's essential to know, and possibly the source of much of the discussion here about whether HW will or will not fulfill people's hopes/expectations.