The Great RQ/HW/Glorantha debate.

From: Tal Meta <talmeta_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:04:18 -0400

Tom Zunder wrote:

> The old rules were that only glorantha was discussed here and all rules were
> discussed on the rq-rules list. Could we have this back and create a HW list
> straight away? That's fair isn't it Shannon?

Actually, I'd like to see a Hero Wars list myself. I might be able to get a more coherent grasp of the rules in absentia that way. :)

> If anyone wants a GURPS Glorantha list then they can run it themselves! [I'll sub]

So would I. The Glorantha idea does get pitched on the GURPS list about every 4-5 months, too.

Loren Miller wrote:

> This is what I understand too. The first time I ever heard of any official
> "disapproval" of RQ rules being posted to the Glorantha Digest was in Brian
> Tickler's leading question and Shannon's reply.

That wasn't the impression I got from Shannon's message, myself. I thought he was pretty distinct that HW discussions were relevent, but that other game systems were not.

> mailing lists two years back, Shannon took over ownership of the Glorantha
> Digest within a week, but it took about a year for Tal Meta to offer to
> start up a new RuneQuest Rules list. It is a tribute to Tal Meta (thanks
> Aaron) that his list has done as well as it has, primarily because he's
> posting RQ cults for most of the Greyhawk deities.

Actually, I spent most of that year waiting for someone else to do it; there had been some talk by others at the beginning, but it died out I guess. Once I decided that I was going to do it myself, it took only a month or two to find a site (that worked <g>) and get things running.

I'm pretty happy with the flow of things; when the rules gurus put their heads together, we've done some pretty good stuff (the temple writeups, the element-weapon spells, etc.). It still serves a purpose, I'd say. :)