Windy Arrows

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:48:44 +0000

Kevin Rose:

> And it does have to be pointed out, that for all the way the longbow
> is portrayed as a wonder weapon, the English lost the Hundred years
> war.

Only because they didn't really want France, anyway :-)

> And the longbow didn't prove so spiffy in the English civil
> war. The English longbow is a tactically very limited weapon, as it
> only really works wonders in a prepared defensive postion that is
> attacked by idiots. All infantry missile troops have severe
> limitions in that they can only defend. They cannot force cavalry
> to fight them. And only an idiot will attack, if the archers are
> properly formed.

But Wellington wanted a battalion of Longbowmen at Waterloo and apparently only backed down because he thought that other generals would laugh at him.

Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>

> Yet more people write:
>
> > Notchet
>
> Once again I'm compelled to point out that the "t", whilst not
> silent, is in fact, non-existent.

Surely, Notche doesn't look right :-)

> Jane Williams:
> > If I understand all these technical discussions, one of the
> > problems being put forward for Orlanthi using bows is the effect
> > of the wind. [...] But in Glorantha - remind me, who's the god of
> > the wind?
>
> Doesn't that rather confirm the point? ("Hoi, Orlanth! Hold it
> down a bit while I use this 'ere solar weapon, that's right, the one
> ole Yelm tried his luck with on yerself, to shoot my next door
> neighbour." "***WHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTT?????!!!!!***")

Nope, Orlanth nicked the bow and arrow from Yelm or Yelmalio or another of the HOST of Fire/Sky deities he smashed to pulp in the Gods' War. He allows arrows to slice through the air without any real impediment. He also had a nice line in slings, javelins, crossbows and thrown rocks, all of which can fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

Anyway, there is a Rune Spell from an Orlanth Sub-Cult of mine which removes any penalties due to Winds, but I won't mention that because it is part of the BAD SYSTEM.

See Ya

Simon Phipp