Orlanthi inclusiveness

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:33:32 -0700 (PDT)

Segio:
> So, we can also find this two patterns in Glorantha: cultures that
> incorporate foreign religions by assimilating them to their native
> religions; cultures that, as you say, emphasize the differences. I would
> tend to think that the lunars are on the first field, and the Orlanthi on
> the second.

I have to disagree with this - Orlanthi have traditionally been very inclusive in religious terms. The unity-council dawn-age missionaries were "Orlanthi". The orlanthi also played a significant role in the broken council. The hunting and waltzing bands and the EWF were also based to a large extent on Orlanthi peoples. It is probably the case that Harmast's reforms and the EWF debacle made them a tad more insular in just what they accept from other religions but this has not always been the case.

A significant proportion of the lunars (the core Dara Happans) are anything but inclusive - a result of the Yelm is NOT... movement which still reverberates through Yelmic society in the 1600's. The lunars are certainly not inclusive of Orlanth either.

I just want to illustrate that things are not quite as simple as just two patterns might indicate and this view tends to obscure more than it enlightens.

Yours,
Yak
- --
Dave Pearton
pearton_at_u.washington.edu

Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
							+
"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll		+