Re: Mystifying hairsplitting

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:36:49 -0500 (CDT)

Steve said:

> Someone posted that Gloranthan troop types could be described in two
> terms.

No, I said that resonably well described Human Genertelan militaries could be generalized into two groups. I also alleged the rest were either not well enough known to characterize or were normally armed mobs, not a military.

>the KoW just pulls it out of a hat because they have the
>name? That's rubbish. IMO, they are substantially more feral than that.

Well, that was Sandy Petersen's positon. They are the archetype of warriors and soldiers. They have many different type of units and use the best ones for any given situation. Their leaders are all top of the line (Patton, Alexander, Ghengis Khan, Rommel class) the troops are all as dedicated as the the best SS or Japanese units were, with the military skills comparable to the SAS or Special Forces troops. They are not a natural occurance. No one can beat them in a fair fight. To defeat them you either have to do outragous things (like accept casualties of 50 to one, or turn 50 miles of the territory in front of them into a glassy plain) or figure out what is going on behind the curtain.

Kevin