Re: Humakt

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 18:13:45 EDT

Paul Bestwick:

<< Given the relationship of Humakt with Orlanth in Godtime, do you think I am being unreasonable to my players if I cause them to renounce their Orlanth initiatship on joining the cult of Humakt.>>

     Personally, no, I don't. In my Torkani write-up (members.aol.com/ttrotsky/torkani) I made the assumption that Humakti can be initiates of one cult only - he is, after all, the god of severing. Of course, they remain lay members of Orlanth or Ernalda (and Argan Argar in the case of my Torkani) but they do have to sever their initiate ties. I did the same thing for the Tricksters, because they are outside of normal society, and the Zorak Zorani because ZZ is none too keen on Orlanth according to the myths!

      However, it may certainly be questioned whether the above is correct or not, and I wouldn't say that anyone who disagreed with me was necessarily wrong - its how it works IMG and it makes sense to me, but it isn't the only way to interpret the source material. In fact, the Orlanthi being what they are, I wouldn't even be confident that all clans use the same approach.

     Its difficult to say whether or not HW will answer this question more definitively. I rather suspect it may not, as the default seems to be for characters to start off as rune levels* and you can't normally be a rune level in more than one cult anyway - although there are a few exceptions.

 <<Also I think their probably ought to be an executioners sub-cult of Humakt in the developed nation-states (Sartar?). I see it as emphasising the Death over the truth aspect ?>>

     I doubt Sartar is developed enough to have a need for a sub-cult of executioners. Esrolia might be, however, if you want to have such a thing.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky