Triarchies

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:07:44 +0100

Alex writes:

> I like Chris and Nick's idea of phalanx-type units having a triarchy
> command, and I suspected this may be a Lunar innovation, perhaps with
> such a motivation.

Actually, we stole the idea of Lunar regiments being run by triarchies from the sample WB&RM magic units described back in WF #7. But the gloss is all ours. And I agree that this is a Lunar innovation, not the traditional Dara Happan way of doing things.

> Suppose a unit's original structure had a posh-but-useless noble
> commander, and a grizzled salt-of-the-earth "NCO" or career officer
> doing most of the actual work, notionally his deputy. To this the
> Lunars add a sort of "Political Officer", to keep an eye on the other
> two...

Not for a Heartland regiment: there, they make sure the "noble commander" and his teenage chinless sidekick (the Military Tribune) are reliable Lunar types, who can keep an eye on the NCO (in case any "not-very-Lunar" troops are unreliable); the NCO (and the troops) keep an eye on them (in case they decide to use the troops in private Dart Competitions, Proxy Wars, bat-feeding, or the ever-popular "sight-seeing tour of the Ivory Plinth").

> In "loyal" units POs will be less required, though equally there will
> tend to be more YT guys in those anyway.

We shunted the "Political Officers" out to the Provincial Army, where the role is taken by priestesses of the Seven Mothers Cult (attached as regimental chaplains). They aren't formally assigned to units of the Heartland Corps, though clearly the command staff above regimental level will include fanatical loyalists, secret agents, assassins, magicians, and the like. And the Empire can't force Political Officers on its barbarian Allies, who get unfortunate junior liaison officers instead.

It's all on p.61 of Tales #17: trust me!

> I could invisage there being a requirement that at least one of the
> three be a YT chap, though which one could vary enormously.

Per my cult writeup, officers in Lunar Army Heartland units are initiates of Yanafal Tarnils (T#17 p.58). The regimental commander or one of his two lieutenants (NB: these are *not* the other two Triarchs) must be a Scimitar of Yanafal (T#17 p.59).

Anything else the writeup is unclear on, please ask!

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #286