re: Red Moon; Balazar

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:21:50 -0800

Philip Hibbs believes

> I don't believe that the RM is even lower in the sky to Pamaltelans, I don't
> think it obeys laws of parallax. I am interested, however, in how it appears
> as one crosses the glowline - does it just flick up to a higher position,
> does it slide up over the course of a number of kilometers, or is there some
> inscrutable special effect that obscures the process?

I do think it obeys laws of parallax -- it's a physical body, and thus physical laws apply. I don't see why the Red Moon has to be a special exception. You surely want it right overhead when in Glamour, and not so elsewhere, and this implies parallax.

I believe the difference inside the Glowline is that you see a red corona around the moon, even when it's in its black phase. (The Glowline is a magical phenomenon with physical effects, not a violation of physical laws.)

Mikael Raaterova wonders

> Balazar is said to have come from the 'northwest lands' in 1082.
> Anyone care to name those lands?

In Fortunate Succession, he arrives from the land of the Zarkosians. It's a little hard to figure precise areas on these maps, but modern Imther, Garsting, Vanch, or even Holay are possibilities (I think Garsting could be most likely, being along the Arcos River).