Re: Theyalan Weeks

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:42:51 +0100 (BST)

Mikael Raaterova observes:
> We all know that Orlanth's Ring climbs the sky for seven days, and then is
> gone for seven days. This is reflected in the theyalan calendar with its
> opposed weeks.

I can only nod vigorously at the suggested connection...

> But during what weeks is Orlanth's Ring visible and when is it not?

IMG, it's in the Sky throughout the weeks of Harmony, Fertility, Movement, and Truth (2, 4, 6, and 8) of each season, and the second 7 days of each Sacred Time.

The other main suggestion I'm aware of is that it appears and disappears on Windsdays (appears on the weeks before the above, disappears the Windsday after).

The main data points, such as they are, are: where is the Ring on Orlanth Holy Days? In the sky, obviously, right? According to the second theory, right at the top of the sky, sometime that night. And, what the heck is the Ring up to in the Brown Dragon passage in KoS...

> Is this actually written down somewhere and i've just missed it?

Tragically not.

Slainte,
Alex.