Lunar Optics and Political Officers

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 98 18:13 MET DST

Nick Brooke
>> We shunted the "Political Officers" out to the Provincial Army,
>> where the role is taken by priestesses of the Seven Mothers Cult
>> (attached as regimental chaplains).

Alex Ferguson
> But in the Provinces, 7M cultists are probably hip-deep anyway, so
> I'd think this would be somewhat unnecessary anyway.

Remember that your likely 7Moms cultist is an only slightly reformed Orlanthi in bad need of spiritual guidance, not a firmly entrenched Lunar thinker.

> Especially
> if the commander is an actual (rather than perhaps merely notional)
> YT fellah.

I didn't see the YT branch of the 7Moms as the one to give political or spiritual instructions.

> Perhaps this depends just how "unreconstructed" the local
> troops are from their Bad Old Barbarian Days.

Even assuming they come from a good Ernaldan background, there are things in the Lunar army which require sort-of illuminated guidance. Believe me, I had that job once...

Philip R. Hammar
> Of course the Red Moon has parallax and obeys physical laws. But
> the physical laws on Glorantha seem to include "bendy" light,

Even if they do, that's solar light, not moonglow.

> there is the discontinuous change in index of refraxtion of the Red
> Moon's light from inside the Glow Line, where the Red Goddess controls >
the Middle Air, to outside, where Orlanth controls it.

What we have for a fact is that moonglow moves differently inside the Glowline, also around Destix, for a start. I don't think that the moon appears bright red on his dying days, but I do think that the moonglow bathes all of the land within the glowline regardless of the actual phase.

If you can explain this by index of refraction, fine...