The Bondsman's Oath

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:25:14 GMT

Jane Williams wants to know:

> Tricksters:
> In my newly-started campaign (the one with the ducks in it), I have a

Tell me more, tell me more! (As Olivia Neutron Bomb used to sing...)

> PC who seems to be about to become a Trickster initiate: and he's
> only partway through his Orlanth initiation! (Currently off chatting to the
> Second Son, will do the "Initiation of Orlanth" next. The rest of the
> players (and the clan) do not know about his Trickster connections,
> though I have one of the players primed to do a Bondsman's Oath on
> him if needed. Any suggestions, advice, thoughts on the wording of the
> Bondsman's Oath, etc? In particular, how much use will it be for a
> newly initiated 15-year-old to have the twit Bonded if a Sword of
> Humakt wants the Trickster dead?

How about:

Trickster, I will shelter you with my good right arm. I will stand between you and the wrath of the righteous. I will accept and enforce your obedience for as long as it pleases me. I swear by Orlanth's Beard and my own soul that no-one shall kill or harm you. Except me.

And the nature of the relationship says that you had better be able to back up that promise or be short of a Trickster pretty damn quick. Jane, keep the Sword of Humakt for a later stage in the campaign. For now, the wrath of the clan elders ought to be enough for a new Initiate to stand up to.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.