Re: Migrations

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:56:02 GMT

Trotsky replies to my mostly-rhetorical question about the "equator":
> I assume he means a line drawn between the Gates of Dusk and Dawn.

And where are _those_ exactly, in terms of the Inner World? My understanding is that they appear directly due east and due west of any given point. (Though who knows, these days.)

> << Making the trans-continental round trip would require a single hop of about
> 1500km, which is a little stiff (not sure if there's a terrestrial bird that
> can manage this (this is what we pay Trotsky so lavishly for, isn't it?),>>

> Actually, your tax pounds pay for me to examine organs removed during
> surgical operations to see what was wrong with them :-)

Not _my_ tax punts! (Sorry, my tax "punt-denominated Euros", I should have said.) I was referring to the generous stipend you receive for posting zoological information to the Digest. ;-)

> but if the plover can manage one 4000 km hop a year without pegging out,
> Gloranthan birds should be able to manage a couple of 1500 km ones.

Or indeed one 4000 km hop, which would take it straight across the Homeward Ocean. Or back via Jrustela or Teleos, which are only marginally easier.

Oliver:
> The Arctic Tern which Alex referred to is the bird that makes a
> 20,000 km round trip every year from the Arctic to the Antarctic.
> Hates warm weather I guess.

Loves sunlight, thought. Elmal/Yelmalio worshippers?

Steve Lieb replies to another Mystery Poster, which I miraculously recall to be: me!

> > Making the
> >trans-continental round trip would require a single hop of about
> >1500km, which is a little stiff (not sure if there's a terrestrial bird
> >that can manage this

> Well, the arctic tern goes north pole to south pole every fall, and then
> back again every spring - a round trip of 24000 miles.

I'm aware of this (indeed, I actually referred to it, but I couldn't recall the name of the species), but my point concerned the distance a given bird could fly _without making landfall_. One can make a circumpolar trip on the earth without having to cover a longer gap than that between Patagonia and the Antarctic Peninsula, which is what, several hundred kilometers? So it appears the Gloranthan task is more difficult in this respect, though it's less distance overall. Still doable, though, it seems from various RW comparisons (such as by Trots, earning his stipend again...).

Slan,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #384