Orlanthi marriage

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:53:36 -0800

Benedict writes:
>Simply, if people are to marry across clans,
>different clans must have the SAME (or only trivially different) laws
>for marriage. There might be different additional customs ('In our
>clan, the groom always wears a blue cloak on his wedding day') and
>specifications ('In our clan, the dowry of the bride always includes
>a sword'). But different laws for clans PLUS exogamy is a recipe for
>disaster.

Yep. However it is the case. Look, the Varmandi know the various marriage customs of their neighbors or at least their lawspeaker does. This is one of the reasons that many a clan has lists of preferred clans - those are clans that are known to be compatible. Orlanthi clans range WILDLY in their marriage laws, some allow marriage to any clan, while others restrict marriage to listed clans or totems.

These laws are known to have been broken. However, the offended clan (usually the wife's clan) can use such a breach as grounds for a legal action or a raid. Feuds often ensue.

>Of course, although neighbouring clans might have only small
>differences, distant clans could have greater differences.

Among the Colymar, the Runegate triarchy only allows marriage amongst its members (strictly enforced), as does the Tree Brothers' triarchy (split between the Colymar and Malani tribes - not so strictly enforced). I believe that the Five Old Clans (the original Colymar clans) have lists of preferred clans and prohibited clans. The Varmandi will marry anyone and are known to ignore other people's rules. And so on.

Jeff