maps, and Steve briefly changes sides

From: styopa_at_iname.com
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:23:47 -0600

While John Hughes' comments are cogent and well reasoned, I for one cannot be brought to believe them.
The man's email name is NYSALOR for chrissakes!

We've all probably been illuminated just because we read it.... :)
>------------------------------

Jon makes a good point
Me:>>And I'd wager
>>a fellow with an ability to make such maps would make a HECK of a lot more
>>$$ than a beekeeper. Thus a more attractive field, albeit the
>>qualifications are high.

<snip>
>What I mean is that I think that making money for money's sake is too
>modern a thought for it to work, IMO, within Orlanthi culture, which was
>what was discussed.

Heh. I know a number of Issaries traders who have just trashed their season's trading plans to turn about and head straight for YOUR clanstead, Jon....

<Chris Bell makes some cogent comments:
>This approach can also explain why there haven't been cottage industries
>developed around various magical effects. These are interventions of the
>Godplane onto every day life, these effects will not *always* be the same,
>depending on how well the caster performed the ritual, the support of the
>community, the local mythic landscape, the flow of magic that day, and how
>the gods were feeling that day. While most magic will be *fairly*
>predictable, magic is not mechanistic nor uniform (unless you're a Brithini
>or a Dwarf :) ) Thus, this can explain why map making magic (and magic in
>general) doesn't always produce uniform effects.

Not to confuse anyone by totally switching sides here, but I'd second Chris' ideas by pointing out the old quote someone made (paraphrased): "You can believe the traditions and oral history, or you can believe the written texts. Me, I'll take the traditions - words written on paper are too inflexible to change with reality."
I always loved that idea in the Gloranthan context. The same of course holds true with maps.
- -Steve (styopa_at_iname.com)
or at work (Steve_at_necadon.com)
http://surf.to/styopa