it's about nothing.

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_iname.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 11:14:16 -0600

><<
> Irripi Ontor collector: "Oi, Grey Beard Priest. We've come to pick up the
> knowledge tribute for the Empire. One third of your books are due to be
> paid."
>
> Lhankor Mhy High Priest: "Run this third thing by me again...?"
>
> Ash
> >>

>In either the FS or GRoY some esteemed Dara Happan emperor type solves a
>problem using mathermatics (dividing Gazzam I think). Issaries also did some
>adding and division when he was dealing with Spare Grain. These two examples
>show that cultures value those that can do arithmetic

To regress slightly, it's not that the CONCEPT of nothing was invented, it was the concept of the "zero" character: that something should represent nothing.

Basically, the idea of a placeholder, absent anything in that place, was the stunning achievement.

At least that's what it was in the RW as I understand it. Clearly everyone knew that if you had three apples and took away three apples, you had nothing left.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #435