Chronoportation

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:17:36 +1300

Andrew Moreton:

> I have read references to this form of time travel via Heroquesting and
>I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on what can be acheived by
>this and the limitations on it.

You cannot influence the past by going back and killing your grandfather. Chronoportation is _experiencing_ the past, not changing it. To learn what Khormesha the Wise actually said in his famous lectures, a Lunar would consider Chronoportation.

Secondly you can only take back what is appropiate to the time. You cannot take back an AK-47 to Paelolithic Wendaria and attempt to set yourself up as an Emperor, for example. This is supposedly one of the reasons why Orlanthi are so fond of flint stones and tattoos.

Thirdly it can only be used to visit intensely magical rituals. Travelling back in time to figure out where you left your car keys is an impossibility for that is a mundane event. But travelling back so that you may witness Nysalor's birth to figure out what happened is permissable.

> My current idea is for a Terminator type plot with Lunar assassins
>travelling back to kill people before they can become inportant and
>protected. This leaves my Pc's to stop the Lunars, (Assuming they get
>out of the Marsh).

Lunar Heroquesters would perform those rituals to gain important powers. They would try and off an Orlanthi ancestor (say Vingkot) so they can gain killing magics effective against his descendants. Your PC's can actually try and be there to prevent this.