Harrek and exegesis

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 03:01:42 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

Me>>And please answer the question of why you think
>>Harrek's text is wrong because of the resued picture, and not
>>the reused picture of the Kralori priest with dragonewts?

>Neither legend claims to describe a historical event, so frankly I don't
>give a damn which one is the "correct" and which one is the "wrong" legend.

And so why do you give a damn about the pictoral accuracy of the picture instead of acknowleging that it represents in some way or another, Harrek's sacking as described in the _text_?

>>And any evidence to suggest Harrek was not in the Rightarm Isles
>>as of 1616 is what?

>Apart from a strong inconvenience in the timeline in Genertela Book which
>your model does solve (with half a page of explanations why this could be)
>the complete absence of any mention of Harrek in any other source for the
>Rightarm Isles in 1616. You'd think people would have noticed.

My summary only requires half a page of explanations in response to two whole pages of irrationally tendentious nitpicks. Spared of these nitpicks, it is only a few sentences at the most.

Furthermore people did notice Harrek sacked the Rightarm Isles. The text you refer to makes no mention that Fazzur was the leader of the Heortland invasion. Must we assume Baumgartneresque-style that Fazzur was not there?

>If an information is presented in a discrediting context, why do you wonder
>that people hesitate to take it as gospel?

Because the information is not presented in a deliberately discrediting context but was made under pressure of time. There is nothing to suggest in of itself that the information is incorrect. I point Joerg to the statement in GRAY that the Wagon Planet only had a period of a week. This is incorrect going by Elder Secrets (Greg had a brainfart apparently) but the sources have been reconciled.

>BTW: these were rethorical questions.

They were fatuous as well.