Re: VormainAnswers

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:22:19 GMT

Keith quoteth:

> Alex F: Probably so. To what extent particular islands in Vormain and the
> East Isles remained internavigable hasn't been 100% determined. I
> think that at the least, 'internal' communications in the Vorumai islands
> was greatly reduced, and to the outside largely eliminated, but the
> closeness of the islands together, and the 'fuzziness' of Vormain
> (the Hinter Isles) make this not entirely clear cut.

> I wasn't sure that Vormain counted as part of the East Isles.

I don't mean to imply that they are. (Nor do I think I just did.) They're just rather nearby! Basic issue -- is the Closing purely geographical, or is it to some degree cultural, too?

> Alex F: To some extent, the Opening seems to be a passive effect in part; if
> people reach Vormain, it would tend to have a 'freeing' effect, even
> if no Vorumainin ever bothered or was able to learn the actual 'spell'.
>
> ME: This is a shock to me. Dormal's secret just sort of rubs off on people!

No. However, the Opening is very much spoken of as being an Effect, not just the dissemination of knowledge. (As in for example phrases like "1589 -- Vormain: Kralori merchant fleet arrives, initiating the Opening of the Ocean".

> What is the Sea coming to? next you'll be saying that the Closing was just a
> confidence trick palyed on gullible humans by Yssabau.

We got this whirlpool we'd like to sell you, too. *swish-splish*

Slainte,
Alex.