Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #451

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:36:00 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:06:30 GMT
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
> Subject: GTA re-raked.
>
> I'd have to go along with this. Brian's cost/benefits 'analysis'
> entirely misses the point, if you ask me

A few people have said this, but I don't really think I'm missing anything here. Issaries is asking for donations, I'm commenting that it may be premature to move to such a final resort. You seem to be saying that since they announced they're taking donations already, I should not be able to conceive of or consider any alternatives to the chosen approach.

> -- though it would be 'nice' if
> provision for longer-term, on-going benefits, such that if Hero Wars
> were _absurdly_ successful, all the "'investors'" (note doubly-redundant
> quotes) would break-even/come out ahead, without imposing unreasonable
> short-term costs on Issaries.

Here's where we reach probably one of the fundamental differences between our points of view. I'm of the opinion that, while the creation of Glorantha and all related products is a wonderful thing, those who have created it have already reaped the benefits of a loyal fan base by being able to continue to live the creative lifestyles they love, supported by said fans year after year. I believe the balance is level, and do not favor treating Issaries with kid gloves and charity, but as the fully responsible business entity that it is.

> I recognise that's awkward, though,
> without making the future bonos very vague, or very cumbersomely
> offered. It would also be 'nice' if Issaries people were a tad more
> touchy-feely in their responses to comments on the GTA. I doubt either
> will happen though, and to be honest, these are just nuances compared to
> what _really_ matters, which is getting the money, and publishing the
> goddamn game. These comments from Brian, who has rubbished the venture
> from start to present, and doubtless will till the finish too, never
> sounded in the least likely to participate as a donor (or investor) are
> in danger of sounding self-indulgent, unhelpful and mean-spirited, to
> say nothing of 'extremely spammy'.

Amazingly enough though, I'm trying to help here. When the donation game falls short, maybe a more "value-oriented" plan will get another look. If there was a sound plan, I'd be a member, it's that simple.

Let's get one thing straight though; I do not participate in flame-wars for the heck of it. It's just an unfortunate fact that I happen to have disagreed with the "Hero Wars will save Glorantha" plan last year, and I happen to disagree with the business plan for carrying it out this year. I'm certainly not the only person to disagree with many, many decisions that have been made concerning Glorantha...the difference is that rather than walking away in disgust as so many have already done, I choose to say something instead. I have accepted the fact that I will be reviled for doing so in the hope that it just might do some good anyway.

> To disgress from David's point, I had to 'laugh my ass off' (to use a
> Brianism) at the comment about Visa charges. Yes, credit card companies

This "Brianism" is news to me...I cannot recall if I've ever used that phrase, but I am certain I have not done so on the digest.

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:16:57 -0800
> From: Mike Edwards <medwards_at_luminous.com>
> Subject: Re: GTA announcement
>
> I've been a lurker for quite a while, but I would have to agree with the
> basic premise of Brian Tickler's comments: That it should be crystal clear
> to all that donations are strictly that - donations.
>
> I think the GTA should be clear that these aren't investments, that any
> value isn't guaranteed, and any implication otherwise is misleading. I
> think most, perhaps all, folks on this list already understand that, but
> it's worth pointing out to make sure.

Agreed...not everyone has the inside scoop, and things that seem quite obvious to those in the know are a total mystery to others.