Secret Societies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:35:57 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>> I do not know of a RW secret society that has lasted that long!

>I am also totally ignorant about Secret Societies, I tried Yellow
>Pages but none of them were listed! It seems that none of them
>publish yearly reports! Some should be done.

It may interest Keith to know governments have developed institutions called "Secret Police" or "Inquisition" whose job it is to find out secret societies, catholics, jews etc. We have ample records of their activities. There are no mentions of Templars later than their supression which given the Witchcraze and their reputation for diabolism would be suprising if they existed.

Andrew Barton:

>The Ismaili sect of Islam is still around. It isn't itself a
>secret society, but the original Assassins of the
>Crusader era were part of this sect.

The Assasins were not a Secret Society either. They were suicide commandos of the Ismailis.

>Various kinds of masons claim to go back to the
>Templars, and others claim to go back all the way to
>Joseph of Arimathea via the Merovingian kings
>(see 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail').

A book which in the first chapter makes wild speculations on known facts. Then in the next chapter, it treats those speculations as proven facts and makes further wild speculations and so on to the end of the book. Just because they _claim_ something, does not mean that their claims are historically credible.