Elvish Liberation Front

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:04:28 GMT

Steve Lieb wonders whether 'angels' aren't contra-Compromise, and:
> I have one other tangential question. The Great Compromise is commonly
> framed in terms of the Lunar/Storm pantheons (at least as I've seen it).

That'd be because it's a Theyalan concept. Discussion of whether non-Theyalan enetities, like the Invisble God, or True Dragons are "subject to the Compromise" pretty much only makes sense in terms of what is the Theyalan interpretation (one might be tempted to say, 'rationalisation' of same.

> Understanding that, my feeling for Aldryami are that in a very simple
> sense, they are communal beings. That is, they don't share a group mind or
> such nonsense, but they are intimately connected at a lower level, if you
> will. For example, within a given ecosystem (the term "forest" is
> generally too limiting) Aldryami recognize each other and know on an
> empathic level information about each other.

The term 'forest' strikes me as being spot on. Counterexamples? That nit aside, I agree with you, and so far as I know it concurs with such 'canon' (or at least, consensus) exists on the topic. I don't think one need necessarily get too het up about what the 'mechanism' for this empathy is in order to agree that it appears to operate (doubtless Gloranthan scholars have a fine time arguing about that very point, though). I suspect, though, that their empathy is directed primarily at their eco--, ahem, their forest, though obviously other elves at least count as part thereof.

> In this they are a curious analogue to the mostali - where the
> dwarves work for the World Machine, elves are the agents of fertility and
> growth.

An immensely weak analogue, too. Not only is mostali behaviour quite different, it arises for different reasons, too. One might just as well say 'Glorantha fans are a curious analogue to the mostali, in that they are agents for drinking large quantities of beer at Conventions, and sending quarrelsome emails'.

> This was one of
> the great achievements of Errinoru - he somehow overcame the intrinsic
> self-centeredness of various elven groups and got them to redefine their
> "home" as encompassing all of them. Kind of an Elven Tito, if you will. :)

More of a Elven 2nd International, perhaps...

Slan,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #496