Stereotyping the Uz...

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:47:32 -0800

Alex submits:

	I submit that the perception of whether a species has a 'central
	drive' or not is highly subjective, and conditioned by the
assessor's
	_own_ drives and behaviour.

Which is a valid point. And one that is certainly played out in glorantha. However, I am arguing that "the central drive" is a very real part of the elder races, and not of humans.

Now, within glorantha, there are likely to be a multitude of other stereotypes of varying validity, and the "central drive" may or may not be central in a particular cultures perception of a particular elder race, but I think that from the Game-Master's perspective, you will nearly always want to take the "central drive" into account when determining the actions of elves, dwarves, and trolls.

For example:
Dara Happans would say that the central drive of trolls is "injustice" Kraloreans woud say "ignorance"
Malkioni might posit that they are simply cunning animals without true human motivations of any sort.

But, deep down inside, the Trolls are still REALLY hungry ;-)

Similarly, I think that regardless of perceptions, there is definite "gloranthan reality" to the "central drives" of elder races.

As always, YGMV.
(and/or MGMV if someone comes up with a sufficiently persuasive and/or fun argument for changing it)

danm

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #502