Hero Wars Wars

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:33:32 +0200

Brian Tickler :

> (Storytelling vs RQ SNIPped)
>
> "I'll wait for him to try something stupid, dramatic, or unorthodox,
> then
> gut him like a fish..."
>
> (yes, this is all exagerrated and sarcastic...) :)

Well, the combat doesn't always occur on an open plain, nor is there always a convenient chandelier ... ;-)

The charm of the storytelling approach (or elements of it, at least) is to change the pace of the story/Quest/scenario according to GM/players desires. That's what we all did *anyway*, back in the glorious days of AD&D youth, sure ... :-)

I think that many would agree, though, that straight RQ3 has such a tight structure, and makes so many demands on book-keeping skills that the story tends to be squashed (unless your story is Good vs. Evil; man-to-man ...), a fault that AD&D actually has to a *lesser* degree.

Now, I'm *not* saying HW is better than RQ; I'll likely be playing book-keeping-Lite RQ with elements of HW. After all, the detail of RQ sometimes comes in handy.

The user-friendliness of HW is, however, MUCH appreciated; NOT "utterly worthless" !