Re: Hero Wars power level

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:54:15 +0200

Dom Twist:

> This does REALLY not bode well at all. IMG after many sessions of play 1 (of
> 6) Characters has finally acheived INITIATE level. The idea of game that
> only really supports characters who are so far above the norm as to be
> superpowerfull is truely horrible. It's the whole reason I and many others
> found AD&D so objectionable and started playing Gloranthan RQ in the first
> place! We might as well go and play Bloodsuckers or Walking Wolves or
> whatever.

And so the straw man is happily burning once again. If you create a HW character "strictly by the book", you'll end up with a character who skills-wise is about as good as a reasonably experienced initiate and whose magic is somewhat less powerful (at least for instant use). Also, character development is slower in HW than in RQ, since you'll use most of your "experience points" to save your ass when the dice go against you.

But there's nothing to stop the GM for assigning lower starting skill levels. One of HW's strengths is that it can handle _both_ kids fresh off the farm and Harrek the Berserk. Of course there are weaknesses as well, but the power level is _not_ one of them.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #545