Re: More on Nature and Chaos

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:01:06 +0100

Morgan Conrad :

>I agree 99%. But my impression of the early replies that tweaked my strong
>reaction :-) was that they were dogmatic absolute truths, not mere views of
>the Orlanthi. If I misunderstood, me bad.

IMHO (of course) there are many objective truths we can state about Glorantha. Not everything is culturaly relative. That chaos was introduced to glorantha from outside it is I think one of them. Whether or not you consider this to be relevent when discussing if it's natural or not may well be a matter of opinion and cultural perspective.

>I used to read it that way, but have also read stories where he was born,
>and, after being born, created the air for himself. If this is literally
>true, I have no idea where the air came from......

To take a wild guess, I'd say he probbaly exhaled it. Umath is the primal storm god, father of Urox, Orlanth, etc and so the air is a part of him. Since we know where he came from, no extra-cosmic orrigins for the air are necessery.

Simon Hibbs