Re: Garundyer

From: Nikk Effingham <ENG7NJE_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 10:54:34 GMT

> Joerg Baumgartner:

Ahhh, so that was who IUL Labour was... : )

Pete M.:

> >Because the Icelandic sagas are built around the few cases where
> >peaceful solving of cases failed.
>
> Orlanthi are not Icelanders. Iceland is a desolate little
> island in the North Atlantic where feuding clans are forced
> to live with one another. Most Orlanthi live in lands where
> the stronger can persuade the weaker to flee for their lives
> at short notice to some distant land.

What! The Orlanthi culture you have just described is exactly what Iceland is, or the end product at least - a group of people driven from their homelands to a distant land by Fairhair. Orlanthi are NOT Icelanders, correct, but certainly they have elements of their culture (i.e. weregeld, blood feuding etc...) to which Icelandic and related literature (i.e. Beowulf) make a great source - for both Greg, and us.

> >> But Orlanthi do not settle their internal problems by
forgiveness. >
> >They do, if they emulate their deity. "The Great Compromise",
>
> Where Orlanth welshes on Yelm's demand for Atonement...
> Secondly this is a deed that reflects on Orlanth for he is
> the active party in this quest. Contrast this to Owain
> who forgives Garundyer for some reason we can only guess at.

The reason we can only guess at the interchange between Owain and Garundyer is merely because it hasn't been described yet. Rather than destroying the basic idea, perhaps ideas to create a reason, an Orlanthi-esque, epic, exciting reason would be preferred.

> >There are enough precedents for either way of Orlanthi behaviour.
>
> Then name a Orlanthi feud settled in the manner of Owain
> versus Garundyer.

How can we? There isn't exactly an extensive and exhaustive list of sources for us to draw examples from. Usually we will instead find information on the feuds that led to death, destruction and mayhem because these are the ones more... notable in Gloranthan history.

> >> A father's authority does not have the same force in Orlanthi
> >> society as it does in, say, Japanese or Roman society. Garundyer
> >> could have quite happily disobeyed pop in these circumstances
> >> with little or no shame.
>
> >Not if the command is "see the little ones out of this mess!".
>
> He could have killed or driven off the Telmori and the little
> ones would have been safe.

I think you're really pishing the boat out on that one - imagine a nine year old child - Hero or no Hero - facing insurmountable odds. Perhaps Garundyer MAY have defeated the Telmori or died trying, but then I wrote it in to kill off his father and leave Garundyer alive, as well as creating a real hatred for the Telmori. His history and background would have gone differently if this hadn't happened.

All IMVHO,

Nikk