Re: Sartar Tribes

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:00:12 +0000

Julian Lord

replying to Alex:
> Swenston Ring :

[...]
> the Dundealosi of the Boldhome Ring (sadly)

As Peter pointed out, there is no such thing as a Boldhome tribal confederation. The old source has been superseded by the tribal confederations as described in CHDP in KoS. There the Dundealos _are_ affiliated with Swenstown.

> There is a kind of no-man's land separating the PJs from the
> Dundealosi, if I'm reading my maps correctly ...

If you look at the gameboard of Dragon Pass, the land of Sartar east of the Storm Mountains is Dundealos territory, and the green (of all colours...) land of Prax is part of the vast territory used by the Pol Joni (who appear as part of the Barbarian Horde).

> (BTW : Do the PJs worship Eiritha, Uralda, or some cow of their own?)

Cow-Eiritha, which is fairly synonymous with Uralda. IMO they use the Praxian term and a mixture of Sartarite and Praxian rites.

> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:55:13 +0200
> From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
> Subject: Cities

replying to Jeff Richard :

>> Believe me, Orlanthi politics can get very violent.

> But : in a small city like Boldhome, anyone who wants to be involved
> politically can be. Bumping people off (except for bloody foreigners)
> doesn't really work

Bumping off people works even better in an urban environment. You don't have to kill them outright, but intimidate them - hurt them, destroy part of their business, kill a servant, all the good precedents of a rural blood feud work as well in a city, with the additional benefit that unlike in rural regions, it is harder to push a legal claim against a powerful opponent. Terror is a lot easier in urban environs.

> And almost no-one can afford to pay Wergeld. There is a
> Balance of Fear, Prejudice, Trust, and Society that exists in an
> Orlanthi city.

Formed by some pressure, including violence, upon creating the city, or whenever a new player enters the game of politics.

Peter Metcalfe:
> >> Torkani

> They were driven northwards from their lands by the Telmori _before_
> Boldhome was raised (KoS p134). Their status is unusual. Questlines
> #1 states they were part of the Jonstown tribes yet the Jonstown
> Guide says that they and the Maboder refused to join the City Ring.

Jonstown guide states that the Torkani would not attend the city ring - little wonder, since to get there they'd have to cross enemy territory, both Telmori and Dinacoli.

>>> Lismelder

>>part of the Duckpoint Ring (!).

> Only Ducks control Duckpoint.

And merchants from Kethaela. The Lismelder may use it for trading, but not as a center of tribal affairs.

Mikael Raaterova

> But when it comes to Sartar Populations after 1613 it's irrelevant
> anyhow, since Far Point (or rather Harvar Ironfist) allied to Tarsh
> after Starbrow's rebellion, taking the Dinacoli tribe with him.

Which leaves the Alone tribes in a no-man's-land situation. I suppose that they were strong among the supporters for Argrath's campaign leading to the victory at Sword Hill in 1627.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #659