Re: The Herds of Prax

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:53:35 EDT

Andreas Gustafsson:

<< Do the Bison tribe only herd bison or do they have primarily bison, but
some
 cattle also? I haven't been able to find some reference in some of the books I
 have about what is allowed according to the fact of Waha.>>

      They can only herd Praxian beasts, so typical cattle are out. They do, to some extent, herd Praxian beasts other than bison, because they steal some in raids on their neighbours.

<< Another thing I've begun to feel is that it is sometimes very hard to
visualize
 some parts of Glorantha. Prax for example, if all those beasts are living there it ought to be pretty fertile, but it's described as being pretty barren.>>

      The number of animals isn't that large, considering the size of the Wastes, but even so, they survive at least in part because Waha granted them the ability to do so. This power is presumably not entirely natural, since sables and impalas, for example, are basically woodland animals in the RW, and impalas in particular won't travel very far from water. Also, the Wastes isn't quite as barren as it appears to outsiders - most of it isn't really a desert since rainfall peaks at about 10 inches a month in winter, although its pretty dry in Fireseason. And there are a number of oases, which must help. But it certainly isn't luxurious, and life *is* a struggle.

<< Can someone please enlighten me? If you feel it is somehow off-topic,
please say so, since I haven't been on this list long enough to fully understand what is on and not.>>

     Seems pretty on-topic to me :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky