Newcomer to Prax

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:31:24 +0100

Andreas Gustafsson said:

> I'm a fairly new to Glorantha, but I have been made a big fan
> nonetheless.

Welcome aboard!

> One of the most irritating facts about Glorantha is that the sources
> that everyone quotes is always out of print,

Isn't it just? Especially stuff that's been out of print for DECADES.

Come to think of it, what's still in print?

> like River of Cradles...

That's one of the more recent ones, too. Still, that reprint of the Pavis and Rubble sets should contain most of the RoC stuff, since RoC was itself a Pavis reprint with an extra scenario or two.

You have ordered a copy from Rick, haven't you?

On to Prax:

> Do the Bison tribe only herd bison or do they have primarily bison,
> but some cattle also?

Just Bison. And, I would imagine, other Praxian beasts they've raided from other tribes, but not cattle.

The point you're probably missing here is that only certain species of animal were allowed to thrive in Prax under Waha's Covenant. Bison are one of them. Cattle are not.

The Poljoni ride horse and herd cattle, but they're called the "Bastard Tribe" by "real" Praxians. They weren't part of Waha's original set-up, and are sort of Sartarites anyway.

(Ducks as flames break out)

> Prax for example, if all those beasts are living there it ought to be
> pretty fertile, but it's described as being pretty barren.

It's pretty barren. Those beasts only make it because of Waha's magic.

Then again, it depends on what you mean by "barren". The rainfall figures sound pretty bad to me, but people who live in masochistic places tend to pipe up at this point and say what a nice place Prax is compared to their homes. Why don't they move, that's what I want to know?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/