Lunar info.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:23:23 +1200

Philipp Grawe:

>- - How wide spread is the worship of Yelm Pantheon in the Lunar Empire ?
>I've heard a lot of references to the Dara Happans being worshippers, but
>also to them having their own Gods.

Very widespread. The Dara Happan Pantheon is the Yelm Pantheon. They worship many gods that outsiders do not, but so does every Pantheon.

Dara Happans primarily live in the cities and virtually every city in the Heartlands has Dara Happans. The Lunars encourage this because Dara Happans tend to be very good at running city governments despite their bigotry etc.

>- - Do the Storm Gods get worshipped (Orlanth and Stormbull are illegal
>in the empire, correct ?) ?

They are not illegal. Nobody worships Storm Bull within the Empire because he gives people constant headaches that turn them into pyschotic axe wielders. Orlanth has refused the message of the Goddess and his worshippers tend to be given a hard time. Most Orlanthi within the Lunar Provinces generally worship his sons like Barntar the Plowgod. There are no indigenious Orlanthi within the Heartlands.

There are worshipped Storm Gods in the Empire. Dorburdon, the Thunder God of Darsen and Odayla of Sylila are a couple of examples.

>How about the Malkioni-style Invisible God ?

Any Malkioni within the Lunar Empire would be considered exotic by most of their brethren. As far as I know, there are three groups.

The largest group are the Carmanians. They now worship Gods save for the Viziers-cum-wizard caste who practice sorcery. Nick Brooke's and Loren Miller's webpage will have mucho detail about them.

The Arrolians, although lunars, still have some worship of the Invisible God since most of them are descendants of the Loskalmi Empire of the Imperial Age. They live on the Janube river across the Sweet Sea although some of them were resettled in Oraya sultannate. They still have many western customs (such as guild government) and would be the least exotic to normal Malkioni (ie like the Stygians of Ralios). They hate the Carmanians and vice versa. Nick Brooke has a church writeup for them on his webpage

The next group, the Logicians or Materialists, are much rarer and the most exotic of all. They arrived during the Flood as servants of the Blue People (who ruled most of the world then). They survived the downfall of King Blue and are a nuisance in the northwestern sultanates. The Carmanians hate them thus there are none in the Western Reaches. They're not really a culture but a sorcery school that has persisted in Peloria down through the ages.

Lastly there are Malkioni travellers to Peloria. They are usually two groups: Loskalmi knights who have made it upriver on some strange quest, or Stygians from Ralios who have made it through Dorastor and so can be presumed to have sinister motivations. Some Rokari knights, from the conquest of Heortland, will be found in the Empire in various roles (usually slaves but perhaps mercenaries).